Wednesday, August 30, 2006

August 30, 2006 - THE CHUTES; The Chutes Provincial Park, Massey, Ontario






Once again - this was yet another waterfall that was tackled by myself. Sherri wasn't with me for this one. Massey, Ontario is a smaller community located along the Trans Canada highway between Sudbury and Sault Ste. Marie. Since I have passed this provincial park for well over 15 years of my life I figured that since we are attempting to see as many waterfalls as we can - why not check out The Chutes.

The Chutes gets its name by being just that - a Chute. A chute is what loggers would construct to divert their logs around the waterfall which allowed them to be able to send them downriver - in this case it was the Aux Sables River.

So, of course, tackling this waterfalls by myself there usually has to be some great event that happens that I feel must be mentioned. I had pretty much spent my entire afternoon playing in the water at this waterfall location - playing in the clay with my hands and feet, playing and climbing the rocks, wading in the water knee deep while taking pictures of my feet - since I can't even see my feet in ankle deep water back at home. I truly had a fun afternoon.


During this time I saw not a single soul - as that usually happens in remote areas of Northern Ontario. At one point I decided to get a little adventurous and brave the rapid current of the river to get to the other side. So I kicked off my hiking boots, rolled up my shorts as high as I could and started to cross the river in hopes of not getting my shorts nor my camera wet. The rocks were large and jagged and the sand was very course but through tonnes of prayer I finally had made it to the other side. There wasn't much the other side had to offer mind you but I just wanted a different perspective of the waterfalls and the river.

I took a few pictures and enjoyed the view that was until I heard a splash in the water from the direction of the falls and when I turned to see what it was, there was a black bear swimming across the river.... across to the side that I was on!

Fortunately he was a bit farther up river from where I was - roughly 30 meters - but the bear didn't really notice that I even existed. As you can see in the picture below, my footprints are on the left and the footprints of the bear are on the right. We just missed each other by a few minutes.

No comments: